I decided today, rather than further discuss the ways in which children morph into teens and the ensuing tsuris (yeah, that's right, go look it up), I would offer our kids and teens some tips to staying alive long enough to see adulthood. While this is my own personal list, I would be willing to bet a lot of money that there is not one thing on here that doesn't pertain to all children on the planet. Well, all except the perfect children, but I haven't actually met any of those. I have only heard about them from their mothers.
|This is what I look like |
by the end of the day.
1. If you ask me to buy you something and I buy it..USE IT! When you ask me for something like shaving cream, shampoo or deodorant and I see it still in the bag three days later and then you ask me again if I can buy said items (because you never looked in the bag that sat blocking your door) - I can't even breathe.
2. Use your towel to dry your body off after you take a shower - BEFORE you go anywhere. Don't tell me you did. You didn't. If you did there would not be wet footprints on the bathroom tile nor would I squish through the ones on the carpet. And I think we both know how I feel about the towel reaching the final destination of your bedroom floor.
3. Take the trash down to the garage. You say you didn't know it needed to go down, but why else would I leave the bag of trash blocking your way up the steps? What are the chances I am not going to be annoyed if you move it out of your way to come up and then leave it?
4. Just try it!! Good Lord! Would I ask you to try something that I really thought you wouldn't like? And let's just say it's not your favorite, trust me, you won't die.
5. Clean your room for real. Shoving stuff under your bed, dresser, desk and into your closet isn't cleaning. You might fool me at first glance, but when I come in there to get something and see what you've done, it's on.
6. Every once in awhile, just take no for an answer, smile and move on.
7. Don't whine!!! It will never make me want to change my mind. You know what else, you can keep the drama tragedy face to yourself as well. Yes, you are whining and yes, you are making a face. Why else would I say it?
I think we have covered the main survival techniques. Let me know if I have missed any.