Luckily for all, I have taken notice of this and am here to offer tips for comportment that will not only make travel more pleasant for everyone (or at the very least, me) but will undoubtedly keep a few of the more ignorant people of the planet from getting their asses kicked. I think I am going to say that this is a PSA of sorts. I might even count it as community service.
So, without further ado, here are some handy travel tips.
1. Try not to be an assh*le (that's really an everyday tip, not just a travel one, but we'll leave it as a travel one for now). We all are
|Please note the group|
in the front left. They
have stopped to chat
right in the middle.
Whistle and smack.
2. Keep to the right. Especially important in a crowd. As I have told my children when we were in Disney (as well as other places), other people are not to be treated like video game obstacles that you try to beat out and/or dodge around on your way to the next location.
3. Do not gesture wildly when you are in a crowd. Especially true if you have a cigarette in your hand (talking to you people in the casino and on city streets). *more on cigarettes later
4. Do not walk 17 people across so no one can get by you.
5. You don't have to rush, but walk so there is any hope for the rest of us behind you to get to our destinations some time in the same day.
6. Just because you have a stroller, scooter or wheelchair does not mean you don't have to look where you are going. Manners are for everyone. (PS - I still have the scar on my ankle where the guy ran up the back of my leg in his electric wheelchair - not exaggerating).
7. If we find ourselves in each other's way, the way it works is that we BOTH say excuse me and go around each other. The way it doesn't work is that I say excuse me and you keep pushing past me. Also, if YOU bang into someone, you have to say excuse me and make sure you haven't knocked the person over!
8. If someone holds the door for you - say thank you! Conversely, hold the door for the person behind you. Even if you have to wait the extra 5 seconds to do so.
|Picture me to the left of this woman. |
Now picture that I was there first.
Whistle and smack.
And accidental shove on my way by when I get up to move.